By Kate Gomez
Blithfield Reservoir was opened by the Queen Mother in October 1953. Work had commenced in 1947 after being delayed by the Second World War and in the six years it took to complete, almost 500 people were employed in its construction. Around one third of the labour force came from a unit of the Polish Re-Settlement Corp who were based at a nearby camp. Others lived on-site and each day buses would arrive with labourers from Rugeley, Lichfield and the Potteries.